[Sca-cooks] Herring in Wine Sauce

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Aug 30 23:42:32 PDT 2013

I haven't gotten it from Costco, but Herring in wine is something we like.

Yes it needs to be refrigerated, it will keep for about a month after opening.

It says wine sauce, but don't expect an entree.
It is a sweet/sour pickle, more an appetizer kind
of thing.  We eat it on crackers or thin rye
bread, with onion, sweet pepper slices, pickles,
etc.
But you can eat it straight from the jar.  I've
never tried heating them. I see recipes for
salads too.

I've had it on little open face sandwiches as
part of a Danish Smørrebrød. (Apparently
Smørrebrød is an "In" thing now).

Not sure how period the recipe is (it may depend
on the brand), but preserving fish in vinegar is
period, especially for a Scandinavian/ Northern
Europe feast. I was served it in at least one
feast. Some people really, really liked it.
Others wouldn't touch it.

I know you are diabetic, check the label for sugar, brands seem to vary widely.

If you've never had herring you might want to try
a smaller jar before investing in this.  But
that's true for most of what Costco sells.

Ranvaig