[Sca-cooks] Kale with bacon

Kathleen Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Wed Aug 7 08:00:48 PDT 2013

Blue cheese... that sounds good.   Gotta try that.

I grew up eating kale.  My mother made it quite often.   It was a full supper on cold winter nights.  I was very happy to see one of my favorite foods listed as an early Irish dish.

Cook the kale with a smoked piece of meat (ham hocks, ham bone, bacon, smoked neck or recently, smoked turkey drumstick) until kale is tender and heartily flavored by the meat.  We used to add potatoes, carrots and onions (cut up).  It was seasoned with salt and pepper.

When I started doing it on my own, I added several dashes of bitters and some hot pepper flakes both not period).

Served with (unperiod) corn bread it was a cheap and filling meal.  Who knew Hungarians ate soul food? ;)

Cailte

Kathleen Roberts

Supervisor, Student Records

Division of Enrollment Management

University of New Mexico

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."  W.B. Yeats

"The hand that rocks the ladle rules the world."  Nadia G.