[Sca-cooks] Chocolate Bacon

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 8 13:39:17 PDT 2013

David/Cariadoc wrote:
> I just had an interesting exchange on FaceBook. It started when someone
> posted about her chocolate covered rasberries at Pennsic, went on to
> chocolate covered bacon. I suggested that perhaps such were more
> appropriate to Burning Man and mentioned Icelandic Chicken as a good
> period use of bacon.
>
> Someone responded that chocolate bacon was period. My first assumption
> was that she was joking, but it rapidly became clear that she was not.
> A cooking laurel had made it at an event, so she assumed it must be
> period, said she would ask him to explain. Eventually he came on,
> somewhat apologetically, explained the circumstances in which he had
> served bacon dipped in chocolate, pretty clearly assuming that everyone
> knew it wasn't period.
>
> Which is, I think, a useful lesson on the dangers of doing out of period
> jokes on the assumption that people will realize they are out of period
> and so not be misled.

I may not be a Laurel, but i still try to avoid modern foods and modern garment "jokes" in the SCA context, because i try so hard to encourage people to at least make an attempt at period Middle Eastern food and clothing.

For one feast i did, i conceded and made modern baklava at the request of the sponsor/host/autocrat; not the standard recipe, it included sesame seeds, currants, pistachios. But i made sure it was clear in the feast menu each diner got that it was modern.

I avoid blatantly modern fabrics, as i keep reminding myself that i am trying to set an example, especially since "Middle Eastern" in my kingdom tends to be:
-- fantasy (inspired by TV and films, such as the horrible "Kingdom of Heaven");
-- ATS ("American Tribal Style") with its rampant mix of clothing and accessories, including stuff from Southeast Asian and Central America, as well as tassels that only decorated horses and camels until a generation or so ago American dancers started to wear them around their hips and other bodily locations;
-- an SCA-specific style of pseudo-Persian/Ottoman "coat" with tightly fitted torso, deep cut neckline, and tippet-like sleeves which is popular and for which people get awards even though it is distinctly NOT period. I remember trying to encourage a reign a number of years ago to wear more period garb, but all the women in the court and retinue were dressed in this style. When i commented on the inaccuracy of the cut, i was reminded that several Laurels made them. I believe that has helped to proliferate this style, which is at least more peri-oid than ATS or fantasy.

Sorry for the off-topic rant.

Urtatim (that's oor-tah-TEEM)