[Sca-cooks] Black-eyed peas recipes?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Aug 13 12:58:46 PDT 2013

> On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:04:25 PM Terry Decker wrote:
>> The bean most commonly associated with NOLA are red (kidney) beans as
>> used
>> in red beans and rice.  Great northern and navy beans are common for
>> white
>> bean dishes.  Pinto beans are also commonly used.  All of the other beans
>> are available, but are less common in the cuisine.
>
> Are red beans related to kidney beans?  They definitely are two different
> beans
> now.
>
> Colin

The terms red bean and kidney bean (in the context of this thread) refer to
a variety of Phaseolus vulgaris, in which the seeds are kidney-shaped and
red in color.  Definitely not two seperate beans.  Other kidney beans are
dark speckled, light speckeled, and white.  P. vulgaris also includes other
varieties; black turtle beans, pea beans, pinto beans, cranberry beans,
borlotti beans, fageolet beans, yellow beans, and white beans.

You are perhaps referring to adzuki beans (Vigna angularis) which have also
been called red beans.

Given the confusion in using common names and my assumption that the
question was directed at genus Phaseolus, let me apologize for not using
taxonomic nomenclature.

Bear