[Sca-cooks] What Samidh Flour Isn't

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Aug 16 08:09:52 PDT 2013

Looks like the brand new book Sweet Delights from a Thousand and One Nights: The Story of ...

By Habeeb Salloum, ‎Muna Salloum, Leila Salloum Elias ‎ - 2013 - ‎

Calls for “samidh flour.”  For example—“Take fine samidh flour and knead into a thin dough. Allow to sit until it rises. Take a ratl of sugar and one-third of a ratl of almonds, finely pound them and firmly knead with rose water and syrup. Make from this thin patties and coat them with …” and “KHUSHKANANAJ (DRY BREAD) DRY SHORTBREAD COOKIE Easy. It is to take a top quality samidh flour and to put with every ratl three uqiyas of sesame oil and knead to make a firm dough. Leave it to rise.”

Book is scheduled to be out at the end of the month, so we can see then what it is that they recommend in their modern versions for these sweet recipes.

 Johnnae