[Sca-cooks] What Samidh Flour Isn't

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Mon Aug 19 11:02:18 PDT 2013

So I asked my wife about this question. What she had to say is that the
amounts given in al-Warraq's bread recipes are almost certainly
guidelines. She further stated that there are some environments in which
measurements of flour by weight and water by volume will work, but only
if the conditions are relatively consistent: nearly identical
temperature, humidity, storage conditions for the flour, etc. Otherwise,
she says that you end up tweaking the recipe every time you make it.

She further agreed that in theory at least, a high-gluten flour like
semolina should not produce a crumbly product, because it would make for
an overly elastic dough.

-- Galefridus