[Sca-cooks] Strötzel

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Dec 9 19:17:47 PST 2013

I've been pondering this recipe.  It doesn't say
what Strötzel is, except that it is made from
eggs and  you use the same sauce as the
breadcrumb/egg Knödel.
Without much evidence, I've been wondering if it could mean spaetzle?

Grimm says STRÖZEL = strützel,
and that strützel originally meant an oblong
shape, and sometimes means a loaf of bread.
The modern dictionary says Striezel  is a braided loaf of bread.
So maybe not, but you wouldn't put bread into a sauce like this.

Zugemüß 59.  Strötzel from eggs in pepper
(sauce)/ like one makes the Knödel (meatballs)/
be it yellow/ or in a gescharb (sauce).

This is the previous recipe for the pepper sauce.

Zugemüß 54.  Take eggs/ that are hard boiled/
chop them small/ and mix with small black
raisins/ pepper and saffron/ make sweet/ and see
that you do not oversalt it.

Then take a raw egg/ and grated weck loaf/ chop
together/ make Knödel  (dumplings, meatballs)
from it/ and throw one after the other in hot
butter/ fry nicely slow/ put it in a pepper
(sauce)/ that is well cooked and prepared/ or
else in an almond gescharb (sauce)/ like this it
becomes good and also well tasting.  Thus one
cooks the Eyeressen (egg-dish)/ be it yellow or
in the pepper (sauce).

Ranvaig