[Sca-cooks] Service and Kraut questions from Gwen Cat

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Feb 8 10:06:58 PST 2013

For the service portion of your query, take a look at Peter Brears'
Cooking & Dining in Medieval England.
Chapter 23  Dining in the Chamber and chapter 24 Great Feasts both contain
b/w illustrations about the tables, service, placement of dishes, etc.

see https://prospectbooks.co.uk/books/978-1-903018-87-3 for a preview.

Likewise his All the King's Cooks: The Tudor Kitchens of King Henry VIII at Hampton Court Palace
and the edition of the 1508 The Boke of Keruynge published by Southover Press Historic Cookery & Housekeeping that he edited and again illustrated would be worth looking at.

If what they want is something about the history of "table settings", well that is another subject.
My latest book on the topic is called Table Settings but the subtitle reveals that it concentrates on
The Material Culture and Social Context of Dining AD 1700-1900.

They may have to resort to looking in an Art Library and starting with something like The Grove Encyclopedia of Materials and Techniques in Art  By Gerald W. R. Ward

I'll be back with more suggestions. Mail has come finally.

Johnnae