[Sca-cooks] 'Viking' recipes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Feb 10 13:20:51 PST 2013

I can say that the "Viking Bread" while possible isn't very probable.  The
bread is enriched with buttermilk, egg and honey.  This level of enrichment
is rare until the Modern Era and when it occurred before then, the result
was commonly a festival bread made from wheat rather than mixed grain.  The
lack of yeast (the Germanic peoples were fully aware of ale barm) with a
mixed grain bread raises some warning flags in my view.  The recipe appears
to be a cross between a festival bread and a field expedient bread.

The recipe for Barley Flatbread is more accurate in my view.  It is roughly
the same bread described in The Hymn to Ninkasi, except the Sumerians added
honey.

Bear