[Sca-cooks] 'Viking' recipes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Feb 11 14:30:54 PST 2013

Lyme grass is one of those non-standard seeds ground to flour in Iceland,
Greenland, and probably cultivated and used at L'Anse-aux-Meadows,
Newfoundland.  (Journal of Ethnobiology 1 (2): 200-207, Dec., 1981.)
Basically lyme grass replaced cereals when they were not available and was
in turn replaced when cereals were available and affordable.

Availability and affordability are the keys to the why, when and where of
alternative flours with famine being the nadir of availability and
affordability.  Alternative flours are poverty food and as such have only
scattered reporting in period texts.  You might check out "Parisian
Journal," an anonymous diary of the early 15th Century (of which you may be
more familiar than I) where it describes the results in 1420 of the arrival
of the Queen or France and the Queen of England and their retinues in
reducing availability of flour and inflating the prices such that many
Parisians were priced out of buying bread and other foodstuffs.  IIRC, there
is a reference to pea flour.  You'll find alternative flours where price
inflation outstrips wages.  I expect alternative flours were common enough
practice among the poor, but real references are few and far between

And what is the ritual signifigance of boudin noir?  Icky thump, perhaps?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Blood has been used as food for a long time by many different peoples
without a sense of ritual.  The Odyssey has a scene roasting blood and fat
in a stomach.  The Mongols used blood and mares milk as field rations.  It's
possible the strictures you reference are an objection based on the
Eucharist rather than any pagan rite.  Then again, the blood may have ritual
signifigance, depending whether it was actually determined to be there
(remembering the precise statement) and upon the purpose of the loaves that
contained it.

Bear