[Sca-cooks] Period Pretzels, yet again...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Feb 17 19:51:56 PST 2013

Streptikios Artos

Twisted bread is made with a little milk and there is added pepper, with a
small amount of olive oil, or if not olive oil, then lard.

Athenaeus, Deipnosophists

That is the earliest recipe I know, which could be a pretzel.

As for the competition, I would say the sponsors don't know a great deal
about baking or its' history.  Arbitrarily deciding to use a starter ignores
the fact that most Northern European bread recipes use ale barm for
leavening.  Were I entering something like this, I would make a starter and
produce two batches of dough one from wheat flour (possibly spelt ot
semolina) and one from a combination of dark rye and wheat (good old AP)
flours.  I would shape these doughs into two foot lengths about 1/2 inch in
diameter, then twist the two lengths together forming a single string of
spiralled dough.  I would then form this into a ring, a double ring, a
figure 8, or whatever I thought appealing.  Let rise 20 to 30 minutes.
Place the shaped bread into boiling water until it floats.  Remove to a
baking sheet and bake.  It's basically an obarzanek with panache.  Decorate
it with large crystal salt if you want.

The missing link between the sweet bread and the soft pretzel is the law.
In most places, by law, the sweet, enriched breads and biscuits could only
be made for feasts and festivals.  Ring and twisted loaves were still bread
and could be sold every day.

Bear