[Sca-cooks] Bread and yeast history (Re: Period Pretzels, yet again...)

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun Feb 17 23:50:31 PST 2013

OK, a few things.

The officer who opened  a bakery in 1839 was Austrian: August Zang. I
self-published a book about  him:

http://www.amazon.com/August-Zang-French-Croissant-ebook/dp/B0026RI3OA

I  also wrote the article about him for the French Dictionnaire Universel
du Pain  (Laffont, 2010), as well as the article on the croissant. Which he
introduced  into France.

The idea that he introduced the use of yeast into French  baking is a
legend of the trade which completely ignores the descriptions  Malouin gives of
using yeast in breads in his eighteenth century volume.

http://chezjim.com/18c/breads/Bread_18_3.html#four

Conversely,  there is no contemporary account of Zang introducing the use
of yeast; what was  discussed in trade works at the time was his introduction
of the Viennese steam  oven (which is what gives baguettes those nice shiny
surfaces). The big Austrian  contribution came shortly after when pressed
yeast was invented in Vienna,  simplifying its use and in a far purer form
(brewer's yeast tended to leave a  distinct flavor).

Yes, yeast was used in seventeenth century French  pastry. That's not the
same as using it in bread, which was very controversial  when it was
introduced in the late seventeenth century. It was mainly used in  luxury breads,
not only in the eighteenth century, but even after Zang. It was  probably the
early twentieth century before the long breads which became the  baguette
(in 1920) were yeast, rather than sourdough, leavened. By then French  bakers
had begun to preferment yeast using a method they called 'pouliche'  (foal),
but which somehow morphed into 'poliche' by the twentieth century,  giving
rise to the myth that it was a Polish method (also supposedly introduced  by
Zang).

I know quite a bit about Gonesse (whose water was credited with  the
excellence of its bread), but I've never seen it claimed that yeast was used
there. Can you cite a source that says as much?

Pliny mentions the use of  the foam from cervoise in Gaul to make bread.
But this was clearly only true of  one part of Gaul, since many regions used
grains like millet which simply don't  rise very well. I know of no evidence
at all that the Romans (or the later  French) adopted this Gallic method and
in fact the favored Roman method (there  were several) was the sourdough
method.

"At the present day, however, the  leaven is prepared from the meal that is
used for making the bread. For this  purpose, some of the meal is kneaded
before adding the salt, and is then boiled  to the consistency of porridge,
and left till it begins to turn sour. In most  cases, however, they do not
warm it at all, but only make use of a little of the  dough that has been kept
from the day before.  "
http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA39&dq=inauthor:Pliny+bread+dough&ei=3tshU
fyUE47vigKokoA4&id=WIFiAAAAMAAJ#v=onepage&q=inauthor%3APliny%20bread%20dough
&f=false

To  the contrary, the Roman method seems to have taken over in Gaul.

I would  certainly be interested in any actual recipes for bread from
between 500 and  1600 CE, especially for France, where I've never seen a one. And
yes, these  would be from manors; public bakers (like the guilds and much
else about Roman  infrastructure) seem to have essentially disappeared under
the Merovingians. The  bakers mentioned both by Gregory of Tours and
Charlemagne's biographers were  typically parts of large households (though Gregory
mentions some home-baking as  well).

Nothing like a guild is mentioned in France until about the 9th  century
and no true guilds (corporations) until about the 13th, though several  of
these claimed to have existed for several centuries at that point. I
understand there is a lingering controversy about how much the Roman colleges
persisted into the French guilds, but in the written record there's a very large
break. There is one mythical (if much repeated) claim that Dagobert I gave
"statutes" to the bakers, but in fact he left no municipal statutes, only
legal  codes similar to the Salic law, and these do not mention bakers at  all.

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Newly translated from  Pierre Jean-Baptiste Le Grand d'Aussy:
Eggs, Cheese and Butter in Old Regime  France

In a message dated 2/17/2013 10:22:06 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,