[Sca-cooks] Malt Syrup History

Craig Daniel teucer at pobox.com
Mon Feb 18 14:14:32 PST 2013

At least in the US, and I suspect the rest of the western world, the
abundant use of malt syrup as a sweetener began in the twentieth
century as an alternative to sugar, which was rationed because of WWI.
(In the US, sales then picked up shortly afterward as people
discovered its applicability to homebrewing and the desirability of
doing so when beer is not available commercially; this led to one
brand releasing a hop flavored malt extract syrup, for making
gingerbread cookies - they even included a recipe. I have no idea if
the cookies were any good, but the syrup sold well enough.)