[Sca-cooks] On Beyond Pretzel

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Feb 20 08:32:21 PST 2013

I think the problem here may be that the bakers and bread were highly regulated.
The bakers were required to make loaves of certain sizes and weights.
So you end up with those standard rounded loaves most often being depicted in paintings.

If you look at breads associated with holidays or celebrations, there will be others depicted.
There is a large Dutch diamond shaped bread which is known as a duivekater. You see it depicted in paintings of the visits from Saint Nicholas. (Sometimes it is also made in the form of  a shinbone.)

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/search/objecten?q=steen%2c+jan&s=artist&js=1&p=8&ps=12#/SK-A-385,87

Or in Jan Steen's painting of Baker Oostwaert and his wife.

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/SK-A-390

A search looking for festival or holiday scenes may yield something.

Johnnae