[Sca-cooks] Eggplant query

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Feb 22 16:33:18 PST 2013

Local grocery stores normally carry at least two varieties of eggplant.
What I think of as the standard eggplant is large with dark blue skin.
There are also thinner, lighter varieties with paler skins, variously
labeled as Japanese, Chinese or Filipino eggplants.

Does anyone know what varieties existed in period? Eggplants show up in
at least Italian and Middle Eastern recipes, and presumably should show
up in paintings, but I don't remember seeing any.

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com