[Sca-cooks] Rack of lamb

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Feb 24 11:42:54 PST 2013

We did one of our cooking workshops yesterday. The oddest recipe, at
least to me, was one I did:

*A recipe for spiced side of ribs by him, too: (Yahya bin Khalid
al-Barmaki)*

Take a side of ribs of a lamb and boil it in extremely sour vinegar
until half done. Take the pot away from the heat and leave the side of
ribs in it until it cools down. Then take it out, rub it with the dried
spices mentioned earlier [coriander, cumin, black pepper, and cassia,
from the previous recipe], and lower it into the [heated]tanur.

It came out all right--sour from the vinegar, of course. I think next
time I'll simmer for half an hour instead of 45 minutes before roasting.
Is anyone here familiar with anything similar from period
cuisine--boiling meat in vinegar, then roasting it?

Also did a couple of Martino recipes, a mustard from al-Warraq, and Ibn
al Mubarrad's version of Naranjiya, since one of our Seville orange
trees currently has ripe oranges on it. If anyone in the bay area wants
a few to try out a recipe with, let us know.

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com
http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/