[Sca-cooks] What cookbook is this?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue Feb 26 22:09:03 PST 2013

I wouldn't recommend a full translation, that's probably too much effort for what is in large parts a rather dull, antiquarian text. The Ars Magirica seems to me to be a Humanist effort to collect "what we know about cookery" more than asnything erlse. Some of its contexts are very interesting (cibus Maius went over very well at an event last year), but a lot of it is rather dry "And this is what the Ancients called this food, and Apicius say A, and Pliny says B, and that source I've read to show off how smart I am says tangetially related C".

Notwithstanding which, it is a very nice book. And the Swiss consider the cheesem,aking letter a national treasure, naturally.

Giano