[Sca-cooks] OT: Olive oil with 24-karat gold?

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sat Feb 9 16:25:16 PST 2013

>I'm reasonably sure I've seen similar medieval medical concoctions, but
>can't find any just now.

Rumpolt has a recipe that mentions small cakes or cookies made with
pearls and gems "zeltel die mit Perlen vnd Edelgestein gemacht seyn"

A "Zelte" is a small flat cake or possibly what we would call a
cookie or biscuit, today the word is only used as "Lebzelten"
(=Lebkuchen, kind of gingerbread).  Small ones would be "Zeltel" or
"Zeltlein".   It appears that they could made with powdered pearls
and gems, which were considered to have healing properties.

Ranvaig