[Sca-cooks] 'Viking' recipes

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun Feb 10 09:55:40 PST 2013

Was dairy - available from any cow - upper class? Even honey could be
gathered in the forest.

The bouillon is more ambivalent. I've never seen  any mention of it being
explicitly used in early French cooking - adding it in  separately seems to
be a late medieval innovation - but as a practical matter  boiling a chicken
for instance would give you bouillon as part of the dish. So  adding it in
separately may be superfluous, but not too anachronistic (unless  you're
using commercial bouillon in which case there's all that sodium).

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Newly translated from Pierre Jean-Baptiste  Le Grand d'Aussy:
Eggs, Cheese and Butter in Old Regime France

In a message dated 2/10/2013 2:15:25 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,