[Sca-cooks] 'Viking' recipes

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Feb 10 17:34:43 PST 2013

There are background readings for these recipes.

The Viking bread is described here
Viking-era bread recipe
http://www.hurstwic.org/history/text/history.htm
A Modern Recipe for Viking-era Flatbread William R. Short  12-October-2009

where he notes, "We routinely make bread at our Viking feasts that is delicious and always well received by guests. We donít really know what sort of bread Viking families made and ate, but this recipe is consistent with the ingredients and techniques that would have been available to Viking era households.
The recipe originally came from the viking.no website (no longer operating) and was downloaded in 1998.

Iíve modified the recipe several times to improve it."

A number of the other recipes are provided by the Viking Answer Lady. Her website notes "The following recipes are reconstructions of what Viking cooking may have been. We do not have any actual recipes surviving from the Viking Age."
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/food.shtml

Then we come to the recipes are provided by Ydalir  which is "the Manchester group of The Vikings, the UK's oldest and largest Dark Age re-enactment society." They seem to have been written for a school age population. Their information reads: "The following recipes are all based on authentic ingredients, and use authentic cooking methods (authentic period recipes are rare, so we have to compromise). They have all been tested and found to be delicious!"

"The Viking Family's Porrdge", "Meat Soups" "Fish Soups" come from http://www.viking.no/e/life/food/index.html and are adapted from the book   I LÆRE SOM VIKING   by Trine Theut,.  Illustrations by the author. Published in 1994 by Trine Theut and OP-Forlag, Aps, Denmark.  ISBN 87-7794-248-5
English version by Steven Mohn

So what we have are at best plausible recipes based on "authentic" ingredients.

Johnnae