[Sca-cooks] 'Viking' recipes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Feb 10 23:36:57 PST 2013

The use of non-cereal seeds and legumes for flour is fairly common medieval
practice and it is in keeping with the problems of raising adequate crops in
the Scandinavian climate.  What is surprising is Prof. Lund's opinion that
blood may have been an ingredient in some of the breads.  It would be
interesting to determine if this is true and get some idea of what flours it
was used with, if not all.  Blood might be used as a replacement for fat for
cohesiveness of the dough or it might be simply to add calories to the
bread, an unusual form of enrichment.

Some of the loaves were leavened, but there is no breakdown of how many
loaves were leavened and which flours were used in the leavened breads.  I
would suspect that the leavened breads contained large percentages of wheat
and/or rye flour which would produce an effective rise, but leavening is
sometimes used with other flours.  As the loaves discussed fall between 400
and 1050 CE, the possible leavens are ale barm, mead dregs and spontaneous
yeast.  Carbon dating of the loaves might help date leavened bread in
Sweden.  The Gothic migration into the region should have introduce ale barm
leaven between 300 BCE and 100 CE and an early appearance of leavened bread
on the timeline would help support the historical evidence.

Since most of these loaves are grave goods, there is a possibility that they
may not represent bread in common use. but are specially prepared to honor
various dieties.  A comparison between the various grave loaves and the
loaves excavated in Boberget and Helgo would be of some use in determining
whether or not there were differences between ritual and common bread.

The paper is a useful summary of the research, but it leaves me with a
number of unanswered questions.

Bear