[Sca-cooks] Spicely?

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Feb 11 10:02:03 PST 2013

>A new spice shop opened up a block from my office. It is called
>Spicely. Apparently it is part of a chain that I've never heard of.
>Does anyone have any comments on this company? Good stuff? Bad stuff?

A store near by has carried their stuff for around 2 years.   I've
tried 4 or 5 of their spices.  I really like their Thai curry, I'm on
the second box, and am trying to have them order the large size for
me.  The other things I've tried were good, but maybe not
exceptional. Certainly better than the usual grocery store spices and
the prices seem good.

It seems like they have a pretty good turn over, so the stock seems
fresh.  I like their smallish re-fill boxes, so you aren't paying for
a new jar each time... I have jars that fit my spice rack.  Some of
their spices are organic, and it's clearly marked which ones are.

I suspect they are trying to compete with Penzeys, but I haven't done
a real comparison to them.  We have a Penzey's pretty close, but I
don't go there much, because I spend too much when I do. :)

Ranvaig