[Sca-cooks] Removes, Again: Was Period Pretzels, yet again...

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Feb 18 09:33:24 PST 2013

Fair enough.
Actually, new or not, I COULD have known had I done what I  usually do:
checked the archives. Lazy of me not to have this time.
For  anyone who didn't check the period links I provided, they too mention
the  concept in context. But certainly from everything I know it's an
eighteenth century, not medieval, term.

I'm still bemused by the  identity of the term with the French term for
dessert, though that appears to be  coincidence. I know of exactly one
reference to "desserte" in our period;  otherwise the term, until the eighteenth
century, seemed to be "exit" (issu) or  "fruit", after the meal proper had been
"removed".

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Newly translated from Pierre Jean-Baptiste  Le Grand d'Aussy:
Eggs, Cheese and Butter in Old Regime France

In a message dated 2/18/2013 4:23:29 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,