[Sca-cooks] Rack of lamb

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Mon Feb 25 02:16:52 PST 2013

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 11:42:54 -0800
From: David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Rack of lamb

Is anyone here familiar with anything similar from period cuisine--boiling
meat in vinegar, then roasting it?

------------------------------
Mostly things tend to go the other way (ie half roast and then cook in a
liquid). However I have come across a 16th century venison pie recipe in
which the meat is marinated in vinegar and then baked in a pie. This was
either in the Book of Cookrye or the Good Huswifes Handmaide for the Kitchen
(sorry I haven't noted precisely which one):

To bake redde Deere.
Parboyle it, and presse it, and let it lye all night in redde Wine, and
Uinegar: then Lard it thicke, and season it with Pepper, Salt, Cloues, Mace,
Nutmeg, and Ginger. Bake it in a
deepe Coffin of Rye-paste, with store of Butter: let it soake well. Leaue a
vent-hole in your Pye, and when you draw it out of the Ouen, put in melted
Butter, Uinegar, Nutmeg, Ginger, and a little Sugar: shake it very well
together, and put it into the Ouen againe, and let it stand three or foure
houres at the least, to soake throughly, when your Ouen is colde take it
out, and stop the hole with Butter.

We did make this for a trial for a feast, and I quite liked it, but not all
of my taste testers did.

Angharad