[Sca-cooks] Challah/braided bread

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Feb 25 07:39:08 PST 2013

I'm intrigued right off by the idea that Christians were already making
braided bread that early:

" In the 1400s in the Jews in southern Germany_1_
(aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#sdfootnote1sym)  began adopting the  braided bread the Christian
Germans were making for Sunday and using it as their  special Sabbath bread.
This bread was called “berches” or “barches.”
According to written  descriptions of these long braided loaves, they were
made with sourdough  starter, white flour, no eggs (except as a wash on
top), very little shortening,  and only a small amount of sugar. "

I'm guessing  this was what the French call "pain benit"; that is, a
special bread made by a  congregant to then be distributed during the service. In
France in later  centuries this became like brioche, then brioche was simply
substituted. The  above description is a credible idea of what it might
have been like before eggs  and milk were later added.

I also find it curious that sourdough was being used in Germany, especially
 for a fine bread. But then I don't know the German side of this period
very  well.

Certainly an interesting paper. Thank you for posting the link.

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Newly translated from Pierre Jean-Baptiste  Le Grand d'Aussy:
Eggs, Cheese and Butter in Old Regime France

In a message dated 2/25/2013 7:16:11 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,