[Sca-cooks] dormice

Dama Antonia dama.antonia at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 14:16:21 PST 2013

On 28/02/2013 10:19 a.m., Johnna Holloway wrote:
> Both the live ones and the stuffed ones in the museum at Snežnik Castle were not as large as a squirrel.
> Wikipedia in the entry on the edible dormouse says 4.2-5.3 ounces which doubles right before hibernation. So the whole
> animal weighs maybe 10.6 ounces. Fox squirrels weigh 1.1-2.2 pounds by comparison.

That's quite true- I was thinking of smaller species such as red
squirrels when I typed it.  Grey squirrels and fox squirrels would
certainly be a fair bit bigger than an edible dormouse.

Still, people eat lots of fairly small creatures because they think
they're tasty.

I believe it's the extra pre-hibernation fat that's supposed to make the
dormouse good eating.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo