[Sca-cooks] Sour Cabbage -- notes

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Feb 8 12:02:14 PST 2013

From my files  dated 2005 with some updates on the sources

Johnnae

Sour Cabbage Notes—

Went looking for references to sauerkraut last night. This was before reading this am's posts, so forgive me for being behind in those.
In Regional Cuisines of Medieval Europe: A Book of Essays.
In this collection edited by Melitta Weiss Adamson with the section on
Germany written by Adamson, I found these mentions—

<>In talking about 16th century food in Germany, she writes “Lower class foods according to Ryff are oats, cabbage, chestnuts, beans, millet, and turnips… Cabbage, Ryff informs the reader, is eaten daily all over Germany, and in Bavaria sauerkraut is eaten three to four times a day as a meal. Adamson. Page 163

Ryff’s book is Guualterus H. Rivius [Walter Ryff]. Kurtze aber vast eigentliche nutzliche vnd in pflegung… it dates from 1549

2013-- That book is now online -- http://archive.org/details/kurtzeabervastei00ryff
--------------------

<>Adamson later on in her discussion of Daz Buch von Gutter Spise mentions that “Two recipes each contain cabbage/sauerkraut (recipes 48, 84). Page 169

If one checks the edition of Daz Buch von Gutter Spise that Adamson edited, one will find that recipe 48 is a sauce recipe that ends “and some sauerkraut or turnips, anything you want.”

<>Apparently in the 1460 cookbook written by von Maister Hans or Meister Hans (facsimile is titled Maister Hannsen des von Wirtenburg koch) there is a mention made to cabbage seeds being saved from cabbage worms. Meister Hans noted “I secretly noticed that you like to eat sauerkraut, while by nature I prefer gruel…” Page 176 <>

2013-- That book is  Kochbuch des Meister Hans. Edited by Trude Ehlert. Frankfurt am Main: Tupperware 1996.

Lastly Adamson mentions that the 1485 Kuchenmeysterey contains some material in the sauces section. “The focus in chapter 4 is on sauces, especially garlic sauces, mustard, electuaries, cabbage, and sauerkraut.” Page 183

Perhaps someone could check a copy of the Kuchenmeysterey and see what is in this chapter. I don’t have a copy at hand of this.

2013-- There's  Ehlert, Trude. Küchenmeisterei Edition. Frankfurt: Peter Lang, 2010.

Or online Küchenmeisterei : 1507 Access: via external web site
http://nbn-resolving.de/urn/resolver.pl?urn=urn:nbn:de:bvb:12-bsb00009309-6

<>Hope this helps <>

Johnnae