[Sca-cooks] pastry recipe

jamie brown fairegirl2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 18:43:50 PST 2013

Hello,
I am doing a german lunch tavern.  I have choosen recipies from Sabrina Weserlin.  I have chosen a couple of the tart recipies because I will have limited kitchen facilities.  The pastry recipies from Weserlin seem strange.

61 To make a pastry dough for all shaped
pies  ( from www.daviddfriedman.com)

Take flour, the best that you can get, about two handfuls, depending on
how large or small you would have the pie. Put it on the table and with a knife
stir in two eggs and a little salt. Put water in a small pan and a piece of fat
the size of two good eggs, let it all dissolve together and boil. Afterwards
pour it on the flour on the table and make a strong dough and work it well,
however you feel is right. If it is summer, one must take meat broth instead of
water and in the place of the fat the skimmings from the broth. When the dough
is kneaded, then make of it a round ball and draw it out well on the sides with
the fingers or with a rolling pin, so that in the middle a raised area remains,
then let it chill in the cold. Afterwards shape the dough as I have pointed out
to you. Also reserve dough for the cover and roll it out into a cover and take
water and spread it over the top of the cover and the top of the formed pastry
shell and join it together well with the fingers. Leave a small hole. And see
that it is pressed together well, so that it does not come open. Blow in the
small hole which you have left, then the cover will lift itself up. Then quickly
press the hole closed. Afterwards put it in the oven. Sprinkle flour in the dish
beforehand. Take care that the oven is properly heated, then it will be a pretty
pastry. The dough for all shaped pastries is made in this manner.

I have been searching the internet for maybe a Rumpolt recipe that might be a richer crust.  What is the correct route to take?  I am preparing a spinach tart with a lid and a game pie.  This recipe seems like one that is meant to be a shell but not enjoyed.  Any suggestions or help?

Jamie