[Sca-cooks] interrogation cheese and Trader Joe's

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Tue Jul 2 22:30:42 PDT 2013

As I recall, it's Meadowkase, a Dutch cheese. But it might (naturally
enough) be seasonal.  Not sheep's unfortunately. (Fromage de mai and  fromage de
gain - supposedly from the fall - are found in various medieval  texts.)

My own favorites at Trader Joe's are their kale, their Greek  yogurt (with
honey or mangoes), their almonds, their Vina Chilenas wine (only a  buck
more than the famous Two-buck Chuck and way better) and their langoustine
tails. They actually have some good pre-packaged meals too. Their olive bread is
 pretty yummy too, though I miss the days when they had a real whole wheat
loaf  as opposed to the multigrain (but not of course whole grain) loaf
which replaced  it.

The Enseignemens qui enseingnent a apareilier toutes manieres de  viandes
is a 13th century cookbook; I've translated it as "How to Cook a Golden
Peacock".

Jim Chevallier

Comparing early and late medieval food  in France
http://www.chezjim.com/food/pre-v/comparisons.html

In a message dated 7/2/2013 10:21:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,