[Sca-cooks] What's the right cheese for an interrogation?

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Tue Jul 2 23:28:14 PDT 2013

A denarius is both a coin and a weight, but as a weight 9 of them is not
much.  The roman denarius was 1/7 of an ounce avoirdupois, so 9 of them
make 9/7 of an ounce.

The corresponding Paris denier of c. 1400 was lighter, and 9 of these
would weigh less than 1/2 of an ounce.

Eating at most an ounce and a half of cheese and keeping it down does
not sound very challenging.

Unleavened bread per se is not very hard to get down, unless the type of
bread is unusually nasty, or is in large quantity.

As a formula for exorcism, the bread/cheese combination might work fine
even with small amounts.

As a form of trial by ordeal, the description makes it seem a very mild
test.

Thorvald