[Sca-cooks] Barberries

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jul 3 12:20:00 PDT 2013

That's Berberis vulgaris.  It's been the subject of a USDA eradication
program in NM (in fact there was a national eradication compaign beginning
in 1918), but it isn't on the state noxious weed list last time I looked.

Barberry was introduced to the US in the 17th Century as a cultivated plant
and moved into the wild.  Because it is a host for Puccinia graminis, cereal
stem rust, and has been known to support new genotypes of Puccinia capable
of attacking rust resistant cereals, barberry is still subject to
eradication and not normally cultivated in the US.  If you want to cultivate
it, you will likely need to find it in the wild and transport it to your
garden.  I doubt you will find it for sale because anyone selling it might
be open to a lawsuit by wheat farmers.

Bear