[Sca-cooks] Sundays in Lent

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Thu Jul 11 12:38:46 PDT 2013

I've been studying feast menus from around the time of Henry V, and
have a question about them. Both Henry V and his bride Catherine of
Valois were apparently crowned in Lent, and if I have the dates right
(this depends on whether my sources agree on how to handle
Julian-Gregorian conversion), they were both crowned on Sundays.

My question is this: Both feasts were almost entirely of fish, with
one or two dishes of flesh. Does this mean that these Sundays were
fish days, and flesh was included by dispensation, or did most of each
menu amount to a voluntary fast?

--
Henry/Alex