[Sca-cooks] Kid-getting

Glenn Gorsuch ggorsuch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 12:37:44 PDT 2013

 Mmmm, goat.

We were fortunate enough to be given 3 youngish goats for our Baronial
Birthday event last year.  And we went to town.  Well, out of town, the
event was up in the mountains.

Yes, they tend to be somewhat bony, so a whole kid isn't out of line.  A 40
pound animal won't give you more than 20-ish pounds at *best* (1/3 pound
pre-cooking weight per person @ 60 people).  Probably less.  If you have an
active group, save the remainders, either as roasts, sausages, or whatever,
well wrapped in the freezer, and you can use it for future events--soup
for business-meeting night, as materials for a sausage making class, etc.
Ask around, you may well find someone in your group that knows enough
butchery to break and parcel it up (and save the extra bits--goat liver pie
is a great period taste sensation!).  It's no harder than a deer, after
all.

Our goats were dry aged for 3 days in an old refrigerator, and it was
awesome.  No idea what longer would do, but it cut beautifully and tasted
great.

Goat liver pie, goat roasted with garlic, goat and vegetable soup, goat
ribs with a dry rub, and goat mortadella sasuages.

Some leftover goat was later used 4 months later at the Yule feast, and
there was no loss in taste (Seal-a-meal).  I heartily recommend roasting
leftover goat with onions, garlic, and cumin.

Goat forth, and wow the diners!

Gwyn
who is sad beause this year he won't have any nummy goats to play with.  :(