[Sca-cooks] Fabulous Feasts

Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 13:52:13 PDT 2013

Mercy,
    Luckily there are tons of good websites out there now that are a valuable resource for people just starting out:
http://www.godecookery.com/godeboke/godeboke.htm
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html

I also highly recommend the Madrone Culinary Guild Pamphlets as a great, and inexpensive way to get people started down the path of historical cooking. http://www.liripipe.com/mcg/pamphlts.htm

If there are any other guilds out there producing good historical cook books I would LOVE to hear about them (I'm a collector). :)

I also have a selection of books I can recommend:

The Art of
Cookery in the Middle Ages - Terence Scully
Early French
Cookery: Sources, History, Original Recipes and Modern Adaptations -
D. Eleanor Scully, Terence ScullyLibellus De
Arte Coquinaria: An Early Northern Cookery Book (Medieval & Renaissance
Texts & Studies (Series), V. 222.) - Rudolf Grewe, Constance B.
Hieatt
The Medieval
Cookbook - Maggie Black
The Medieval
Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy - Odile Redon
The
Neapolitan Recipe Collection: (New York, Pierpont Morgan Library, MS Buhler,
19): A Critical Edition and English Translation - Terence Scully
The Original
Mediterranean Cuisine: Medieval Recipes for Today - Barbara Santich
Platina: On
Right Pleasure and Good Health (Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies,
V. 168) - Platina, Mary Ella Milham
Pleyn Delit:
Medieval Cookery for Modern Cooks - Constance B. Hieatt
Sallets,
Humbles & Shrewsbery Cakes: A Collection of Elizabethan Recipes Adapted for
the Modern Kitchen - Ruth Anne Beebe
Take a
Thousand Eggs or More (Second Edition/2 Volumes) - Cindy M. Renfrow
That last one (Take a
Thousand Eggs or More (Second Edition/2 Volumes) - Cindy M. Renfrow) is GREAT for people just starting out as it's very well researched, it shows you the original recipe and how they arrived at their interpretation, and it's a good cross section from various times and places. If they started with just one book I would suggest that this one is a great place to start.

In joyous service,
Raffaella