[Sca-cooks] Medieval steaks

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Tue Jul 16 22:37:21 PDT 2013

I'm reading up on early medieval butchery and an archaeologist, having
described how a part of an animal was removed, says that it was then perfect
for  "rumsteaks, filets and faux-filets". Which it may have been, but that
prompts me  to wonder: would anyone in the early medieval period have cut the
meat up into  anything of the sort?

The only mentions I know of of steaks in our period come late, with
Taillevent mentioning a nomble (onglet or hanger steak) and the Menagier de  Paris
mentioning aloyau (sirloin). Otherwise, the idea seems to have just been
appearing at that point.

Anyone know any different?

Jim  Chevallier

Comparing early and late medieval food in France
http://www.chezjim.com/food/pre-v/comparisons.html