[Sca-cooks] Anyone know modern Turkish?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 4 16:23:11 PDT 2013

Urtatim said:
<<< After translating Stephane Yerasimos's "A la table du Grand Turc" from French into English, I continue to work on translating the mid-15th c. recipes added by Muhammed bin Mahmud Shirvani, court physician to Ottoman Sultan Murad II, to his translation of al-Baghdadi's early 13th c. cookbook. >>>

Thank you for doing this!

<<< Note that Shirvani altered Baghdadi's recipes somewhat - adding directions, changing ingredients, etc. >>>

Oooh! A period recipe redaction/redactor! :-)

<<< However, a meaningful translation of one recipe is eluding me. It is relatively short, just a few sentences. Its ingredients are wheat starch, lots of egg whites, butter, and warm honey. >>>

Sounds like an interesting candy/food item. Just how many different results *can* you get from those ingredients. :-) I'm looking forward to seeing your redactions on this and the other recipes.

<<< I use a Mac - it's possible that the mapping for the unusual characters will differ in MSOS, but it's worth a shot.

Grrr. This has been a constant problem throughout the history of my doing the Florilegium. But if the character set exists on both systems (Mac and PC) the mapping should be consistent. The problem has been when one font doesn't exist on the second system and it substitutes another.

Or when copying and pasting to text or email and a system doesn't translate properly. The later is the problem when directly copying and pasting from a Microsoft Word document to email when the original document was allowed to use the special, non-standard Microsoft specific characters such as fractions.

However, since you are on a Mac and it is very easy to translate a document to PDF, which keeps all the funny characters, I would do that. The reader won't be able to edit the PDF, without a bit of trouble, but the receiver should see all the correct characters and your original formatting.  If it looks good on your system, the generated PDF should also.

The reader(s) could print it out, mark it up and mail it back. Or perhaps send an email with a description of the changes.

Stefan

(Who may yet go to changing all the Florilegium files to PDF format, but then the links in them and at the top of each file wouldn't work. I also don't know that I could past the Florilegium headers, even in PDF format to the author's original PDF file. If someone knows how to do this, I'd love to hear from you.

PDF format would also be more difficult for newsletter editors to use in their publications. :-( )
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris