[Sca-cooks] Possible Cheese Classes in An Tir (NW WA state)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 18 14:35:01 PDT 2013

Aelianora de Wyntringham said:
<<< I was able to present about 10 varieties of
homemade cheese:  Parmesan, Tomme, Romano, Asiago, Manchego, Cheddar,
Gruyere, Chevre, Ricotta, 'Scalded-curds' (from Kenelm Digby's book) at
two ages, and I think that's it. >>>

That's it? Wow.

<<< Those who tasted the cheese told me I'd acheived my main goal -  to
make cheeses in the same place, same kitchen, ripen them in the same
'cave', and still have them taste different, with different rinds,
textures and even colors (all from the same milk with no additives
other than cultures, salt and rennet). >>>

An interesting experiment, in that it helps answer just what makes different cheeses different.

What did you use as a "cave"? If the different cheeses are in the cave at the same time, what keeps the tastes from crossing over from one to the other? Whether that be the mold, the odor, moisture? or whatever?

<<< Of course each cheese had a
signature 'FoxDog Farm' flavor background, and that's because the milk
is the milk is the milk. >>>

What do you see as the signature? Hopefully it has nothing to do with the name. :-)

What was the milk that you used?

<<< The classes will cover how to make cheeses 'different' in a
home setting and how to go about aging them when one doesn't have a
cave or anything fancy to do so. >>>

Unfortunately, you're a bit too far from Ansteorra for me to attend. :-(

If you would like to share this information in an article, I would love to add it to the FOOD-DAIRY section of the Florilegium. Or for matter, any other cheese articles that you might wish to write.

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com