[Sca-cooks] Runners/longieres instead of napkins?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Jun 29 09:12:37 PDT 2013

OK, so here's an actual picture:
http://www.wga.hu/art/b/bouts/dirk_e/lastsupp/0altar1.jpg

Altarpiece of the Holy Sacrament  (1464-68)
St Pieterskerk,  Leuven
http://www.wga.hu/tours/flemish/bouts/
The image in the middle is of the Last Supper and the diners in the
foreground are clearly using this. I imagine the fact that the diners at the  side
aren't is simply an artistic choice.

This is one of two references from Snodgrass' Encyclopedia of Kitchen
History:
http://books.google.com/books?id=D7IhN7lempUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Snodgra
ss-Kitchen+History&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6AHPUZXxC-X5iwLJ_IDwAQ&ved=0CDEQuwUwAA#v=on
epage&q&f=false

The  other is to the 10th century Codex Egberti. Presumably that image
would be of  the Last Supper, but the only ones I can find from that text show
nothing like  that.

https://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=Egberti%20last%20supper&um=1&ie=UTF-
8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=1gXPUbj8JqTtigKm4IGgBQ&biw=1280&bi
h=899&sei=YAbPUef4Eam4igKg_YHoAg#imgdii=_

And in fact most images of the Last Supper do not show this, leaving me to
wonder if this is one of those cases of a food historian taking an
exceptional  reference and drawing too broad a conclusion from it.

Snodgrass more specifically says that the hands were wiped on the doublier,
 but this only refers to a folded over tablecloth and again I had yet to
find a  reference to anyone specifically using this to wipe their hands.

Jim  Chevallier

Comparing early and late medieval food in France
_http://www.chezjim.com/food/pre-v/comparisons.html