[Sca-cooks] spices

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Jun 3 01:53:18 PDT 2013

I've read that amchur should be used in 8 months, but I have a large
jar of amchur that is at least a decade old and still tastes the
same.  I use it regularly but not often, and it started as a large
jar.  Over the years, it has absorbed moisture, become hard, and no
longer dissolves properly,  It has by no means spoiled though.  So I
recently bought a new packet but haven't opened it yet. I need to
compare the two.  The new packet is white and more powdery than the
old stuff ever was.  The old stuff was black.  Amchur is made from
green mango and is a souring agent. I think a sealed jar would be
fine.  This is a nice spice, you should try it.

Ajwain is a seed that is a relative of cumin and coriander and
probably lasts about as long as they would. If they are whole not
ground are probably ok, although they may have lost some of the
pungency and aroma.  I'd open the jar and smell it. Try sauteing a
pinch in a bit of oil, see if it smells good. If you have ground
ajwain and  it's more than a year old, I'd toss it.

Ranvaig