[Sca-cooks] Ottoman Bread Porridge

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 6 15:16:02 PDT 2013

I apologize for several typos in my message that might have led to some confusion.

> The manner of making it: Put some water in a pot, drop into it a little butter, after that bring
> it to a boil, drop into the pot some thinly ??sliced bread with the crust left on, when it is
> nearly cooked add some eggs, mix with a spoon, add a little pepper, remove from heat, eat.

Not sure how the ?? crept in. I have no question that sliced bread is the main ingredient.

> Persians cooked in SCA-period, and still cook, Ash, which is a very thick soup-like dish, made
> with starchy things like grains, chickpeas, black-eye beans, lentils, and/or noodles.

What i implied, but failed to make clear, is that Ash is cooked so that the starchy ingredient contributes to thickening the liquid. It ain't yer mamma's chicken noodle soup.

> Shirvani, as his names makes clear, was from the city of Shirvan, which is now in Azerbaijan.
> During SCA-period, the region was captured back and forth by the Persian and the Ottoman,

That should be "by the Persian and the Ottoman Empires".

> so it is pretty certain there is Persian influence on Shrivani's recipes.

Oops, that should be Sh-i-r-vani, NOT Sh-r-i-vani.

To expand or digress, depending on your point of view...
The city of Tabriz is in eastern Azerbaijan. Tabriz was off and on a Persian capital. One contributor to its culinary fame is the noted Kofta Tabrizi, which is a GIANT meatball, much bigger than a softball, in the center of which are hard cooked egg, sour plums, and more. Nowadays it is served in a thin tart tomato sauce.

Not far from me there was a restaurant (now closed) that served a tasty Kofta Tabrizi. I was excited to eat sour plums in a dish other than one i had cooked myself, since those little yellow sour plums feature in 15th and 16th c. Ottoman and 16th c. Persian recipes i have made.

Urtatim (that's oor-tah-TEEM)