[Sca-cooks] Fat Tuesday food question

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jun 14 15:04:34 PDT 2013

You should research under Shrove Tuesday or Shrovetide of course.

My article  "The Pancakes of Shrovetide " by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis, CE
appears in The Fret Knot
http://www.sca-altavia.org/Newsletter/2013-01_Fret_Knot_Winter.pdf

You might find the bibliography of interest.

Another paper would be
'Frederick Jonassen. "Carnival Food Imagery in Chaucer's Description of the Franklin", Studies in the Age of Chaucer, 16 (1994),

A King Travels: Festive Traditions in Late Medieval and Early Modern Spain by Teofilo F. Ruiz has a chapter on "From Carnival to Corpus Christie."

Have you looked at what foods appear in Bruegel's "the Fight Between Carnival and Lent"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fight_Between_Carnival_and_Lent

Johnnae

Sent from my iPad