[Sca-cooks] period thickening agents

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 6 21:32:29 PST 2013

chimene & gerek said:
<<< unflavored stuffing croutons -- I was under the impression that at some point, dried bread crumbs were used for thickening, flour-roux thickening came "later"? >>>

Pretty much correct, although I might say bread crumbs used for thickening rather than flour. Or is flour almost always used as a roux as opposed to being added in as-is?

Some "gravies" started appearing a bit before 1600 but I don't think it was common.

Here are some of the previous discussions we've had on these topics, from the Florilegium.

breadcrumbs-msg (20K) 8/13/10 Obtaining bread crumbs for use in recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/breadcrumbs-msg.html

gravy-msg (24K) 7/ 3/11 Period gravy. Renaissance, not medieval.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/gravy-msg.html

thickening-msg (29K) 6/11/10 Use of period food thickening agents.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/thickening-msg.html

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com