[Sca-cooks] Ethnic market epiphanies

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 7 19:26:40 PST 2013

<<< In any case, I'd to like hear about the shopping experiences of others. Maybe we could even build a database of where to look for unusual or hard-to-find ingredients.

-- Galefridus >>>

We've discussed where to find various "exotic" some on this list. I would love to have an article on this or a set of spreadsheets or a database for the Florilegium.

food-sources-msg (68K) 1/31/08 Modern sources for unusual medieval meats
and other foods.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/food-sources-msg.html

Thank you for this message. I have saved it to be added to this file later. :-)

<<< And a lot of what I find myself doing is learning how to identify items that are described only in languages other than English (East Asian and South Asian markets are the most challenging in this regard, at least to me). >>>

Yep. A lot of interesting, intriguing looking items from pastries to various canned items.

And I skip over much of this stuff, because I have no idea how it might be used. Maybe as databases, including the Florilegium, are more accessible on tablets or whatever when I am in such a store, I can then decide on and then buy some of these items. Right now, I'm concerned that I'll buy something that needs something else to make it useable. Something that I didn't buy and can't find more locally. Or avoid doing something ignorant, like say, putting incompatible items together or eating something raw that needs to be cooked or vice-versa.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris