[Sca-cooks] Irish food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 15 15:24:31 PDT 2013

<<< In honor of St. Pat's, anyone want to talk about period Irish food?
Or modern food you plan to make for the day?

Ranvaig >>>

Christianna mentioned: "Colcannon".

What is this?

And she mentioned "Breakfast Tea with Milk"

What about this tea makes it "breakfast" tea?

<<< I ***could*** freak him out with an Irish breakfast, sans puddings.  That could be fun. ;)

Cailte >>>

Why "sans puddings"? Are those just too weird for him?

The problem with period Irish food is the lack of period records or cookbooks. However, some things like taters/potatoes are barely period for Spain and Italy, certainly not period for a backwater like Ireland. "Everyone" thinks of potatoes and Ireland though because of the Irish potato famine, but that was in the 19th Century.

Here are some of our past discussions on period Irish food or at least likely period Irish food.

fd-Iceland-msg (96K) 1/ 6/11 Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Ireland-msg.html

I do need to come up with a "traditional" or otherwise Irish food to go along with my mother-in-law's cabbage and corned beef she has invited us to on Sunday.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris