[Sca-cooks] Help with Chafing Dish?

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Sat Mar 16 17:16:03 PDT 2013

We found a lovely old chafing dish at a second-hand, and thought of pot-lucks without electricity, so decided to get it, even if it does look pretty 18/19thC, rather than earlier...

BUT!!!  Anybody have any idea where we might find a heating element that is 2 & 5/16ths inches diameter? OF COURSE, that's why the thing was at the 2d hand -- no heating element ("candle" for under the hot-water compartment, which fits quite tightly under the food-containing dish). It would probably have to be an alcohol burner, but if it would even hold a votive candle, that would be something...

We just thought we'd finally found one today, but it was 2 & 5/8ths, so no go. Well, unless DH wants to make the hole we've got larger, 8-(  He could do it, but...  We may HAVE to do it anyway, evetually, because modern small-size sterno cans are 2 & 3/8's !!! a 16th too big, fer pete sake!

Any ideas gratefully received!
TIA
chimene