[Sca-cooks] pig cheese

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Mar 19 23:53:13 PDT 2013

Davidson doesn't list porchino or pig cheese.

Porcherino (the local name) appears to derive from the Italian root
porcheri- which translates to dirt, filth, obscenity.  Since I am less than
proficient in Italian, someone who is familiar with the language might
provide some further insight.

I don't necessarily expect someone with the screen handle of Paolo writing
about Tuscan cheese to be perfectly correct in English.  Lord knows I make
enough typos and it is my primary language.  And while the article is
written in decent English, the Italian "Van de Chiana" is either a double
entendre or a misspelling of "Val de Chiana."

The lack of earlier references to porchino strongly suggests the article is
a hoax.

Pigs have 6 to 20 mammary glands and there is variation on the number within
breeds.

They do not produce oxytocin.  Oxytocin is injected to improve lactation
when milking by hand or machine (apparently for hand feeding piglets).
Modern farming uses cages for nursing and probably for milking.

http://classes.ansci.illinois.edu/ansc438/lactation/swine.html

There is a lack of detail in both the Tuscan story and the one on Chef
Edward Lee, that makes both stories questionable.  Chef Lee's stated method
of attaining the milk is at variance with the industry methods of milking
pigs raising some questions of accuracy and veracity.  Milking pigs is done.
Making cheese from this milk is possible.  But this does not prove the
cheese is made in Tuscany or the accuracy of the story about Chef Lee.

Bear