[Sca-cooks] Grenade syrup or molasses

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 07:28:24 PDT 2013

Wonderful dish, I am going to peel the pomegranates now :)
Ana

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> This is a nice chicken with pomegranate juice and walnuts.  I hope you
> like purple chicken!  It is a popular contemporary Persian recipe, but I
> have found something very similar in Medieval books, with lamb instead of
> chicken.  I give proportions for a feast and for a family.  Enjoy.
>

> *Fesenjan *
>
> (Chicken with walnuts and pomegranate syrup)
>
> Serves 75 or more probably
>
> 25 lb. chicken parts, with skin and bones
>
> 2 cups vegetable oil, more if needed
>
> 20 onions, sliced thin
>
> 1 pint garlic cloves, chopped [the local Asian markets sell garlic in pint
> containers, I think it is something like 12 ounces.  Measure it.]
>
> 5 pounds walnuts
>
> 8 one-quart bottles pomegranate juice
>
> Salt and pepper to taste
>
> 2 small cones piloncillo sugar
>
> 2 Tbsp saffron melted in hot water
>
> Pomegranate seeds for garnish, if available  [not in March]
>
> [To Serve Four]
>
>  * 4 chicken breasts with skin and bones
>  * 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, more if needed
>  * 2 onions, sliced thin
>  * 4 garlic cloves, chopped
>  * 150g walnuts
>  * 1 one-quart bottles pomegranate juice
>  * Salt and pepper to taste
>  * 4-6 teaspoons brown sugar
>  * ¼ t. saffron melted in hot water
>
> Place chicken pieces in pan, skin side down. Sear quickly until skin is
> dark golden brown. Turn over; lower heat, being careful not to burn. Add
> onions and garlic. When flesh is lightly colored, turn chicken again.
> Remove from pan when it is still underdone, along with most of the
> drippings.
>
> In a small amount of drippings continue sauteing onion and garlic. (If you
> don't want to saute in drippings, use vegetable oil.) Add walnuts; cook
> until they begin to darken and give off a lovely nutty aroma. Add
> pomegranate juice, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
>
> Add sugar to taste and return chicken parts to pan. Simmer gently in the
> sauce until they are medium rare. Take pan off the fire; add saffron.
> Sprinkle pomegranate seeds into sauce, if using, and over chicken. Serve
> with saffron rice, if desired.
>
> Loosely adapted from the Claudia Roden version + NARSUN, from THE
> DESCRIPTION OF FAMILIAR FOODS
>
> About twice as much of the pomegranate sauce as the Roden version because
> I did not think there was enough!
>

> On 3/27/2013 7:32 PM, Ana Valdés wrote:
>
>> I got some nice grenades (it's season here in Uruguay now ), and I want
>> to make some Iranian dish with grenades. But I don't understand the
>> difference between grenade syrup or molasses and I wonder if someone of you
>> have any ideas or recipes where I can use the grenades. I checked at the
>> Florilegium of course :)
>> But I didn't find any step to step recipe on how to make the syrup or the
>> molasses.
>> Thanks in advance
>> Ana

http://writings-escrituras.tumblr.com/
http://maraya.tumblr.com/
http://www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci