[Sca-cooks] Grenade syrup or molasses

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 15:10:15 PDT 2013

I am going to have a visit from Yerevan in some months, I am going to ask
her to bring some bottle to compre! :)
Ana

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM, <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Ana Valdes wrote:
> > The Armenians here are from Turkey and they don't have groceries, weird
> :(
>
> That's odd.
>
> The Turks make and use pomegranate "molasses". The word for pomegranate in
> Turkish is "nar", which is the same in Persian. The Ottoman Turks borrowed
> a lot of Persian and Arabic words. There was a Turkish language purge in
> the early 20th c. to get rid of all Persian and Arabic words, but many
> still remain in the language. Pomegranate molasses in Turkish is nar
> ekshisi (the "sh" is actually an s with a cedilla, but that won't show in
> e-mail), in Persian it's rab e-nar.
>
> Urtatim (that's oor-tah-TEEM)

http://writings-escrituras.tumblr.com/
http://maraya.tumblr.com/
http://www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci