[Sca-cooks] Pasta in period

galefridus at optimum.net galefridus at optimum.net
Fri Mar 1 13:40:46 PST 2013

Yeah, practically every illustrated version of the Tacuinum includes an image of folks making pasta. The illustrated Tacuina date anywhere from the late 1300s to the late 1400s. The original Arabic (not illustrated) is from the middle of the 11th century, and is a table of 280 items, mostly food and drink. The 35th entry is for al-atriyyah, which is translated as pasta threads.

-- Galefridus, who spent the past 18 months studying the Taqwim al-Sihha/Tacuinum Sanitatis and has just submitted the manuscript to PPC for publication.