[Sca-cooks] Pantry raid...

Gretchen R Beck cmupythia at cmu.edu
Wed Mar 6 08:41:19 PST 2013

Raisins, prunes, dates, figs

toodles, margaret

From: sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org [sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] on behalf of Glenn Gorsuch [ggorsuch at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:16 AM
To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Pantry raid...

Yes, I know Alton Brown used the line first.

However, I was starting to create a packing list for the West Coast Cooking
Symposium at the end of the month (Yay!  Symposium!  Yay!  Lists!), and one
of the "classes" will be time to use our period cookware to cook over fires
(Yay!  Pots with feet!).

So, I started thinking this morning over breakfast.  What sorts of things
would I, and this august grouping of medieval culinary hooligans, think
would be essentials for the medieval pantry?  Ideally, stuff that would be
pretty shelf-stable, or could easily be added at the last minute, without
need for an ice chest.  Things that would allow one to create a wide
assortment of period dishes.

So far, in just a few minutes, I've come up with:

a loaf of bread (last minute add)
bottle of verjus
almonds
my herb and spice collection (known as the "Spice Weasel")
pilloncillo sugar cone
flour (mix of whole wheat and unbleached AP), also rice flour
oil
wine or cider vinegar
salt
chicken and beef boullions (yes, they're cr at p, but they make a fast
starting point)
dried peas, lentils, barley, rice, chickpeas
eggs (last minute add)
wine (red or white)

Wht else would you consider an essential?